fashion + beauty + insider interviews + est 2006

Monday, July 30, 2007

CALL HER MS. JACKSON IF YOU ARE CLASSY!

another one for the something new files! because i know many of you are budding fashionista's who aspire to be writers, designers, and pr execs in fashion - i have decided to interview the best of the best in the industry ( and ofcourse, they are all blaynista's!) to find out the what, where, and how of working - and getting work - in the fashion industry. they are labled "career chronicles." our first profile is ms. charreah jackson, a young woman i fell in total love with when i met her at a panel discussion weeks ago. i followed up witih her for the scoop on her job as editorial assistant for essence.com. read and enjoy!

find out how YOU can be this happy at your job too!



Name: Charreah Katie Jackson

Age: 22 (I’m an Aquarius:)
Title: Editorial Assistant
Publication: Essence.com
How did you get your job: Well, as a senior in high school I decided I wanted to be the editor in chief of Honey Magazine. Though Honey folded throughout college I was on my campus newspaper staff and freelanced and interned all I could. Last summer I was in the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) intern program. I got my first choice of Essence. I was in the entertainment department and had the time of my life! After that summer I kept in touch with everyone (one thing I always did as an intern was try and meet everyone in the office not just your supervisor) . . .okay, we’re being real right Zandile? By “kept in touch” I mean “stalked with a smile:).” I met the online editor in one of my office visits when I would come to NY from DC and made sure to stay connected with her as I knew Time Inc who Essence is owned by was stepping up its web presence. On my last stalker visit in May I learned the online editorial department has a few openings. I know I was blessed to be in the right place at the right time. But you have to do your part to strategically place yourself:)
What do you love about your job: whew! I love the beautiful and fly staff. I love the fast pace. As a commitment-phobe I was drawn to journalism because it’s constantly changing and you’re always doing something new. Though I’m a magazine girl at heart, the web is definitely the future and I am excited to be a part of its continued growth. I love that readers feel a part of the staff and tell you what they really think. I love the opportunity to learn and grow and nurture my craft with the best and brightest (shameless plug . . .if you get a second check my latest post http://www.essence.com/essence/themix/entertainment/0,16109,1643539,00.html:)
Advice for others: uhm, do everything with a smile because people can train you to do things if you have the right attitude and “fit” the environment but they can’’t change your attitude. Scary lesson I learned but great to know. Also, perception is reality . . .look alive! But most importantly, START NOW! If you want to write you should be writing . . .NOW! Don’t be intimidated by your age or inexperience, trust me, you have you what it takes! If there’s a person you idolize get on their calendar for lunch asap. As you can see, I’m a big dreamer, but only because I know they come true!
What you love about the blayreport: Besides the fact that she holds it down for deep brown girls? SHE ROCKS!!!!! And by rocks I means is smart as hell, lives life the way it should be lived and does a great job with this blog.
What I don’t like? She makes me look bad by updating so much:) But feel free to check out my less-updated blog: queentobe.blogspot.com



3 comments:

Charreah said...

thanks girl!!!! Blayreport is FAB!

Charreah said...

thanks girl!!!! Blayreport is FAB!

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin