fashion + beauty + insider interviews + est 2006

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

CHEAP CLOTHES - TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY


ANATOMY OF A REALLY BAD PURCHASE - OR RATHER THE KIND I AM CUTTING BACK ON
If you live in London or in the UK, you know the bag says it all...Primark is the King of Cheap Retailers. Honestly, they are uber-good and efficient at what they do.

Initially, I loved the dress above because of the print. It reminds me of the traditional cloth worn in my country, Ghana.

This piece caught my eye too because of the print. I loved how free and easy and comfy it looks. But i just cant get over the cheap fabric and the lack of lining. (I am growing modest in my old age.)

The one above is Sexiness personified. It has lining. I actually love the fabric too. I might keep this one. 

Ugh! Bad move all around. Cheap fabric! Plus it fit my waist and chest, but not my bum. Hated it!

ANATOMY OF A REALLY GOOD JACKET
the jacket is yves saint laurent rive gauche and i purchased it from nyc vintage store amarcord. they've got amazing things. it caught my eye because of how slee, slimming and structured it was. and it goes with everything - or rather - i wear it with everything.
an upclose at the ornate gold buttons. i am guessing this jacket is a good 20 years old, but the buttons have worn extremely well.
inside the jacket where you really see the care and craftsmanship...i can stare at the folds for days. (primarily because i am a geek.)
the label.
more of the inside.

worldwide - first i draw your eyes to the right of the screen where myself, anonymous and camille acey have been discussing the virtues and evils of cheap clothing as per h&m, forever 21, joyce leslie (you deserve a gold star if you know about joyce leslie cause that's a hard core, hood-figga, cheap clothing store). as i go on in years , i am now a wisened old 25, i have decided to forgo as much as possible cheap clothing. if i calculate how much i've spent on cheap clothes in the past eight years alone - from university until present - it's been thousands upon thousands upon thousands. the sad part is, i don't really remember any of them. please pardon the comparison, but it's almost like a one night stand (or as i imagine them to be. i don't judge them, but i also don't participate in them.) but i digress....i am at the point now where i want more than a cheap thrill or a quick fling with my clothes. i want something that will last me through a season and beyond. i want garments i can grow old in. that means that now, i am looking for the two F's: FIT and FABRIC. the color and texture of a garment have become increasingly important to me as i regard them as the hallmark.i am also looking for something that fits seamlessly in my wardrobe and hugs my body as much as is appropriate and flattering. now that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be chanel or dior - though to my chagrin that's what they've been for me lately. but they can simply be those one-off boutiqey pieces off the high street or...if you can swing it...from another country. now does that make me a clothes snob, or a shopper who now demands integrity from her pieces? and what is your philosophy?


NOTE: STAY TUNED FOR PHOTOS/VIDEO ON THIS POST...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with you here. I mix most of my clothing from high fashion to Vintage items. I dont buy much of high street clothes because the quality tends to be poor. If you are looking for nice pieces that are contemporary and classic, then i would suggest you visit Maxmara, Diane Von Furstenberg, Dries Van Noten and Vivienne Westwood. These are the brands that i wear and they are reasonably priced.

Keesean said...

this is why i love you.
i just adore how you bleed fabulousness...that jackets is, as you would say, ovahness...
from the posts i think that we are the two greatest vintage shoppers therefore a shopping trip is in order lol

Blog Widget by LinkWithin